Thursday 20 March 2014

Let those records fall!

It's been a great week of running over all. Late last week I broke my own personal record for 5K (to date anyway).

When I started running in January the most I could run in a 30 minute session was around 3K. In early February that number surpassed 4K in 30 minutes. About a month ago I pushed it hard and did 5K in 30 minutes.

Mid last week, after a 30 minute workout on the Bowflex, I was feeling good stepping on the treadmill. Within the first minute I increased the speed to 10 km/h. Continuing to feel great, at two minutes in I pushed it to 11 km/h. Again feeling great and the heart rate still in the mid-150 bbm range, at six minutes I cranked the speed up to 12 km/h.

At the 21 minute mark, I was feeling a little winded, so I dropped back to 6.3 km/h for a few minutes to catch breath and decrease my heart rate and then cranked it back up to 12.2 km/h for the home stretch.

In the end, I passed the 5K mark at 27:26:00. I have to believe that a sub 25 minute 5K is in the near future. Maybe faster if Devin Sherrington keeps pushing us on those hills! (See "This blog post brought to you by Icy Hot!" for stories on hill training.)

Run stats:
Distance: 5.00 km
Time: 27:26:00
Average speed: 10.9 km/h
Average pace: 5:29 min/km
Best pace: 4:52 min/km
Average HR: 159 bbm
Maximum HR: 175 bbm
Average cadence: 180 spm
Maximum cadence: 198 spm

~~~~~~~~

On Monday night (March 17) I took my first neighbourhood run in the Royal Hemlocks. I knew I lived on a hill, but it does not look as menacing in a Mazda Tribute SUV as it does coming back up powered by only your two legs.

Here's how it looks via Garmin Connect:


That's more than a kilometre of incline. Was some 'breathtaking' moments trying to run up that slope.

In comparison, here's a look at the elevation chart of Citadel Hill for Team Myles 2014 hill training:


My mentor Jeff Nearing tells me hill training helps produce speed. I look forward to testing the theory.

Let's see those personal records fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment