Thursday 20 March 2014

This blog post brought to you by Icy Hot!

"My butt hurts and it's all Devin Sherrington's fault!" (Use that in your new marketing campaign, Mr. 360fit!)

Now that I have your attention, it's fully my glutes and it was totally self inflicted!

Since I was on vacation for the first two weeks of Team Myles 2014 training, this past Tuesday night (March 18) was my first night of hill training at Citadel Hill in Halifax with the group.

Twelve full out runs from the base to the top in less than 30 minutes with only a one minute break - 30 seconds up and jog/walk back. Doesn't sound that hard, does it? Well try it.

It was later that evening when I started to feel the stiffness set in. Outside my gluteus maximus muscles, my quadriceps were also pretty tight - likely from the two runs we did backwards up the hill. It was an intense feeling, but I liked it.

The last two reps in that session were designed by Devin to be a 'leave it all on the mat' piece of the training. I ran it as fast as I possibly could. My cadence was measuring 252 at that point - my fastest ever. (Read this previous blog posting from February 6, 2014 for more details on cadence: The case for cadence.)

As I pen this posting now, my glutes and quads are still a little stiff and in just a few hours I have the first of two hockey games in the next 10 hour period. I play 10-11 p.m. every Thursday night and then hit the ice again from 7-8 a.m on Fridays. Should be interesting to see how that goes.

I have found a new best friend. Icy Hot Medicated Spray has done wonders to keep me from walking like a duck this week. I have truly found muscles I did not know existed through this new experience.

Warning to cat owners: Icy Hot and other menthol and mint-based sprays are like cat nip. Cat nip is from the mint family. Our two critters have been going nuts for the stuff all week. Keep them away from it as best you can. I have read varying reviews on if the stuff is harmful to pets. Ours has had 14 years of use from time to time and nothing has ever killed them, but be cautious.

~~~~~~~~~

Last Saturday's Team Myles run in Point Pleasant Park was a run three (minutes), walk one series. This week we move to four and ones, progressing each week until May 17/18 when we compete in the Blue Nose Marathon Weekend 5K or 10K races.

My beautiful wife Charlene is planning to do the 5K on Saturday, May 17. I am thinking of joining her on that run as a warm up to my 10K race on Sunday, May 18. This is the first year the 5K will move to Saturday due to the ever increasing number of runners. The 10K will be done in two heats to accommodate the thousands looking for the finish line.

If you have not registered for a Blue Nose Marathon 2014 event, click here and sign up. It's going to be a blast! I'll supply the Icy Hot!



No comments:

Post a Comment